Sunday, March 2, 2008

I'm not older...I'm newer!

That's what it says on the sidewalk outside of the Salvation Army in downtown San Diego. Not older, but newer. I like that philosophy. Each day I feel I've learned something that makes me a new person. I love changing and starting anew, while at the same time holding on to the good stuff in my life. I love memories, I love my experiences thus far, and I love what I have learned.

My birthday began with a wonderful Sabbath morning, remembering and honoring covenants made with my Heavenly Father; planning how I am going to apply what I learned during my church meetings in my every day life. Then I had a delicious lunch with Mom, Joe, Caroline, Amy, Morgan, Lindsay and baby Seth. Amy and Morgan brought me flowers and a huge kiss (of the Hershey's persuasion). Lindsay, my dear friend who shared many a "Ready House" adventure with me at BYU, is now living here in San Diego with her husband and darling baby boy. They brought the cake and the entertainment--blowing drying the ganache frosting so it was smooth and shiny and watching baby Seth eat in the high chair I used when I was a baby were two of my favorite birthday activities. I love having them so close. We've began a tradition of spending Saturday afternoons together after I finish serving in the temple. Lindsay is quite the gourmet and she often shares her Lindsay-made meals with me. My most recent favorites are her chocolate cake covered with blow-dried ganache (my birthday present!) and Chicken Coconut Kurma.

I thought of Jenny a lot as I ate my birthday meal of Tomato Soup and Chopped Salad--two recipes that have come from my friendship with Jenny. She and Jeff gave me quite the musical treat on my birthday. Singing the Happy Birthday song over the phone was a treat in and of itself, but they overwhelmed me with their amazing "Jane, it's your Birthday" original song. It can be found on Jenny's blog. I felt so darn loved. They really know how to get to my heart and make it happy.

This blog post is dedicated to Jenny and Lindsay, both beautiful bloggers themselves, who have inspired me to blog a bit more.

It's great to be 28 in 2008.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

wow that cake is amazing it looks like it was delicious!!!

Happy Birthday Jane, I hope this year brings you much happiness and blessings!

Lindsay said...

we loved the birthday party--the company, the delicious food. so glad i got to hear jenny and jeff's birthday song to you. you've got to hang onto friends like that who can incorporate the muppet babies theme into your birthday celebration. happy 28 friend!

Jenny said...

Thank you Jane..but isn't your birthday supposed to be about YOU. You are so selfless and that's one of the many reasons I love you.

Sounds like you had a wonderful day!

And thanks Lindsay for appreciating the Muppet Baby theme song- I can only take credit for the high part and not for the idea..that was all Jeff!

Contributors