Tuesday, November 3, 2009

apple babies


Work was crazier than normal today, but nothing could sway my good mood. I woke up knowing that I was going to be making apple puffed pancakes (aka Dutch Babies) for the sister missionaries tonight and couldn't stop smiling. There was a spring in my step as I ran around the office (which was a little difficult to manage since I was wearing some high-heeled boots that my roommate gave me, but I avoided any ankle injuries...bless-ed boots ;) Some days, when I'm looking forward to something later on in the day, I forget to enjoy the present. But today I felt inspired to look for the good all around me...to try and enjoy the moment. I tried to reach out to a few more of my coworkers and get to know them. I found out that one of them shares my desire to have a good toothbrushing in the middle of the day to avoid eating the office sweets. (It's easier to say no when you have nice, minty breath and smooth teeth. On a side note, the smiley face magic ball I inherited from the last person to occupy my office told me that I had nice minty breath today...kind of creepy but hilariously accurate.) To keep enjoying the daily moments, when a situation at work had a negative spin on it, I tried to find a positive angle so we wouldn't spiral down too far.

Another moment I was looking forward to, that was helping me stay positive throughout the day, was adding to my novel on the metro. Yesterday was quite the fun experiment, and I got off to such a great start, I couldn't wait for the ride home. I use the metro ride in the morning to read from The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Christ. This is the sure-fire way to remind me of God's love and his plan so that I remember to choose the right...mostly ;) So reading in the morning and writing in the evening. Today was another great day. My pen was flying over the page and it was actually forming complete sentences. Granted, this novel is based on a short story I thought of many years ago, so I'm sure the writer's block will come when I get to the end of what I originally created in my mind. But I'm enjoying the smooth sailing right now.

My happy helper roommate, Autumn

Tender mercy #2: Even though I had made some preparations last night in order to have the "breakfast for dinner" meal on the table when the missionaries would arrive at 6:30, I wouldn't have been able to do it all without my roommate Autumn. She jumped right in to offer her help in setting the table, cutting up the strawberries and supervising the sausages. And not only that, she entertained me as we worked together in the kitchen...singing and dancing with me. It reminded me of the story of the mother rabbit who had dozens of children and, therefore, many household responsibilities. She gave assignments to each of her children...some cleaned, some cooked, some worked in the yard, some sewed...and some of them had the assignment to be the "entertaining bunnies." They would sing, play instruments and act out plays while the others were working so that everyone could enjoy working even more. When I was a kid I loved being the "entertainment bunny" around the house. I'm grateful I was taught the value of work...that it may feel like a burden sometimes, but it is always a blessing....and usually a fun one. After dinner I went with the missionaries to teach a girl who is investigating the church. I love being able to talk of Christ and his truth. Each one of us has a special part in God's plan and I felt so honored to be present as this girl began to see herself as God sees her.

Look Jenny! I remembered to add the brown sugar on top BEFORE cooking it!


Tender mercy #2.5: Sister Daniels, one of the missionaries who's from Arizona, loved the dinner and thanked me for the "apple babies." :)


5 comments:

Jenny said...

congratulations on a successful puffed pancake meal...3rd time's a charm!

alisha said...

Nice work Jane! Also, wondering how you find writing on the metro. Sometimes I just bust out the moleskine and let loose on the tube, but I also have a suspicion that people are reading it in their periphery! Just like I read what other people are reading if they're sitting next to me - it's often hard to avoid!

Prince said...

If I ever see that happening I start writing something like "hey you sitting next to me, do you have any ideas about what I should write next?" and they either stop reading as they turn some brilliant shade of red, or they give me some ideas...a win/win, right? Okay, so I actually haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know when I do ;)

Rachel said...

Those look delicious Jane. I've never tried to make puffed pancakes, but I'm pretty sure Bryan loves them. Any tips?

Kersey said...

mmm! Que rico tu queque!! You look GREAT jane!! I miss you!

-Kersey

Contributors