Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween, a conservative affair...naturally

I felt inspired to make my own costume this year...and after living with Lindsay and Allison in college, I realized I had a lot to live up to. These 2 ladies made Elizabethan ball gowns from garbage bags and newspaper! But even though I'm not a seamstress or a master of tape...I put together the best costume I could manage, using magazines, stickers, thread, and tape. I've never been an entire organization before, but I thought I'd take a crack at it as my Halloween costume. I was...dun, dun, duuuuun....
The Nature Conservancy.

My roommates and I threw a party at our Brick House residence the week before Halloween.

We had a great time decorating, but my favorite part was making these labels for our drink selection. Pick Your Poison drinks were quite the hit. I even included what the side effects of each poison were on the label. Strychnine was a huge hit because it causes muscular convulsions and our guests thought it might help them have better dance moves...

...and the dance floor was always exciting so it seemed to work wonders.

My costume casually started falling apart throughout the night (my chest was missing it's covering by this point ;) but considering the materials it was made from I was quite happy (materials of my costume, not my chest). Laura and Katie were two of the most delightful guests.


My great roommates! Erin, Autumn and Kelli (don't have a pic of Marianne but she was a delightful DJ nun ;)


Some more poses in front of our home with Kelli.

This was actual Halloween day when my roommate Autumn and I went trick or treating on Embassy Row in DC. My costume was a bit watered down by then. We passed this statue of Gandhi and I reflected a moment on how blessed I am in this country. We also thought how interesting it must be for someone whose first visit to our country was on Halloween. What they must think of us?!! ;)


5 comments:

Pat said...

Great costumes, and it looked like you had a wonderful time.

Kristen Gough said...

you are so awesome, jane. i miss you!

looks like a very fun halloween, and your costume was incredible!

Jenny said...

i can't keep up with your social calendar...what an animal!

Lindsay said...

you look great, jane. hooray for costumes made out of trash!

Kate said...

LOVE the costume. So sad we missed the DP (dance partaaay).

Happy Autumn!

Contributors