Sunday, November 29, 2009

driving miss lackadaisy

Even though I love DC's public transportation, there have been a few times when I thought having a car would be ideal...the "floormats are always greener in someone else's mode of transportation" kind of thinking.  But this weekend has brought me back to reality and not having my own car may be the best thing that's ever happened to me.  My roommate Marianne gave me the key to her car this weekend and said, "Use it all you want!"  I immediately felt empowered and excited about the fact that I would have more control over when I arrived at my destinations, I would be above ground, and could give rides to my friends who normally metro.  But what we soon discovered was how the traffic lights and structure of the city are in no way whatsoever designed to help drivers be efficient or have fun while driving.  With all the one-ways, long and frequent lights, illogical cross streets, and crazy pedestrians (which, I admit, I'm usually one of them) it takes me just as long to drive somewhere as it does to take the metro train or, in some cases, walk...and there is absolutely no parking when I get there!  So I'm very happy to be back in my carless state and am looking forward to riding the metro tomorrow morning.  Plus, I'll get some more time to write my novel about ghost babies...it's coming along.

Tender Mercy #27:

I don't need a car to survive in DC.  And whenever I think I really need a car a friend offers me a ride...or the entire car!

(Did I catch anyone's attention with the "ghost babies" remark? ;)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Ooh, me! Me! Tell us about Ghost Babies!

Jenny said...

ghost babies? sounds gross. jane, what are you writing about? don't make me regret telling you about this little project!

Christin said...

OH boy I can't wait to read about ghost babies. Fun fun.

Christin

Julie said...

I'm thankful for the ride you gave me!! And I'm completely happy to not have a car in this city of random driving circles. French people should design clothes, not cities.

Contributors