I witnessed a young man stealing something from Macy's today. I had wanted to go for a walk before it got too dark and so around 4pm I bundled up to brave the blustery day and walked toward downtown. It was quite chilly and so I stopped in a few stores every now and again to warm up and to experience a little bit of the black friday craziness. I was only in Macy's for a few minutes when I decided I had had enough of the crowds and headed for the exit. All of a sudden someone zoomed by me, barely brushing my shoulder but almost knocking down the woman in front of me. I naively thought, gosh, he must not like the crowds either. But close on his tail was a young man in a suit. Several other men, customers no doubt, didn't hesitate to follow after them and started yelling "stop him!" It was then I realized that the man who had brushed past me first had stolen something and was being chases by several others. When I was outside the front of the store I saw several other men wearing street close but using walkie talkies trying to call for back up, or something. Several shoppers were watching the undercover security guys and muttering how they wouldn't want that job and I started thinking about what the young man, a kid really, had stolen and what would happen to him. It was dark by then and I decided to jog home. I couldn't help but be on my guard, thinking everyone I passed might be plotting something. I didn't feel in danger exactly, just a little shaken up. I am very grateful my parents set good examples for me of honesty and hard work. I wonder how many children are not learning that lesson and are suffering the consequences.
Tender Mercy#25:
I wasn't hurt by the thief today...and I have been kept safe and protected even during times in my life when I've been surrounded by danger and wickedness.
Friday, November 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Contributors
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(45)
-
▼
November
(30)
- petite green peas and ghost babies, a novelette
- driving miss lackadaisy
- a very special garbage day
- holiday giving...holiday taking
- thanksgiving, el dia de acción de gracias
- scalp relief
- profanity prince
- the spanish continues
- sabbath day pounding
- walking distance
- dates dead
- dates
- there's no such place as far away
- a whole new world
- Wesley's One
- Wesley's after party
- oldest sister
- unconditional
- happy and healthy
- back in the seattle again
- 10 on 10 November
- and we're walking...
- tender mercies defined
- falling in love with fall
- lunch learning
- creature comforts
- run to the temple
- apple babies
- a novel november
- Halloween, a conservative affair...naturally
-
▼
November
(30)
No comments:
Post a Comment