Saturday, November 21, 2009

walking distance





 Tender Mercy #19:
In earlier posts I've written about how grateful I am to be able to walk to most places in DC.  Today, the Metro train I was riding broke down and the station manager announced that we would have to wait for a shuttle service if we needed to go further along on the line...it could take hours.  But thankfully I was only about 2.5 miles from my house and could walk the rest of the way.  I was at a Metro stop that wasn't too familiar to me so, of course, I went through the wrong exit and walked several blocks in the wrong direction before I realized my mistake.  Earlier in the day I had walked 6 miles with some girls from work as part of our walking/hiking club we've formed (we're loving experiencing Fall in all its phases).  After that, even though I was getting kind of hungry, I needed to go to some shops in Crystal City, a place I'd never been before.  I ended up walking another 1.5 miles trying to find a store that actually didn't exist.  So, today I've walked 10 miles, give or take a few blocks...and somehow I couldn't be happier about it.  When I finally got to my front door and put the key in the lock I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude that I have a wonderful, comfortable home, food in the fridge, and could relax for the rest of the day if I wanted to.  There are so many people, right here in my neighborhood, that have worse things to worry about than walking a few extra unplanned miles on a lovely afternoon.


3 comments:

Jenny said...

1. did you guys plan a pink and black color scheme?

2. glad you have such a great attitude about walking...despite what you might think, what with me having a rule about not running, i actually enjoy walking too...as long as it's flat and not raining ;)

3. those berries in the last photo look metallic...and was it taken with your cell phone- JANE!

*ehu. said...

Awww man, the first photo totally made me miss New Jersey!! I miss having such OBVIOUS seasons!! Enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

jenny - 1. we didn't plan the color scheme but we are thinking of getting personalized t-shirts to wear on our hikes...something that represents what we tend to talk about the most as we're walking...mine will say "shoulders back, gut and butt in!!!" jenny - 2. i know you love walking and i look forward to more of our walks the next time we're together...i did love our walk/jog from the sushi place to your car...in the rain...hey, i just realized you broke your own rule!!! Shameless. jenny - 3. real berries. and i was wondering if you'd notice the cell phoneness of the photos...I'm sorry jenny! please forgive me but i didn't want to carry the camera for 6 miles...which i'm glad because as you know it turned into 10! gosh this comment is long.

ehu - right on about the seasons...love it!

Contributors