
When I lived in San Diego and volunteered as a temple worker every Saturday morning I had a car to get me there. Living in Seattle I was near a temple again and I had my car with me...very convenient to attend the temple often. In DC I don't need a car for most things, work and social life (if and when I have one ;) but the temple is not in a very metro accessible area. I've gone several times but it takes several hours of train time and walking 4 miles on roads with no sidewalks. It's been worth it every time to have moments of personal reflection as I'm walking in the middle of nowhere during a beautiful day, but now that it's darker and colder sooner it's nice when I can catch a ride with someone who is already headed to the temple. Which leads me to a tender mercy.
Tender Mercy #3:
Janelle, a girl I don't know very well, volunteered to pick me and my roommates up from the metro stop and drive us to the temple. She waited for us to do the temple ordinances we had planned to do and then took us back to the metro...all the while thanking US for coming to the temple with her. She is amazing! And, I'll be honest, riding in a warm car on a dark night to the temple is soooooo much better than walking 4 miles.
(end of TM part)
(beginning of a silly part)
The last time I got a ride from the temple back to the metro stop was when a cute boy asked me for my number as I was leaving. I had seen him inside the temple and thought he was adorable so I said yes before I knew what I was doing. He then offered me a ride as he saw that I wasn't walking toward a car but to the street. We had a great conversation in his jeep before we reached the metro stop. BUT he hasn't called yet and so I must presume that he is dead...because, really, that's the only logical explanation, right?!! My roommate Kelli suggested I run to the temple as fast as I could to see if he was looking for me there, but one of Jenny's rules is to not run...so I guess I'll be single for the rest of this life ;) It's a good thing my battery is dying on this laptop because I should really wrap things up...babbling is for brooks, right?
The last thing I wanted to write about is my bed and how grateful I am for it's comfort and warmth as the weather turns colder. And thanks to Jenny's quilt with it's greens and yellows I feel happy when I wake up and happy as I fall asleep.
If anyone is curious, I had ample time to write my novel today on the metro and things are still going swimmingly. I'm finding that even though it's a work of fiction I keep adding elements of my own life to it. So it's sort of like a journal but with some fun tweakings. I wonder if this will affect the way I remember what REALLY happens in my life. Is this the same reason why many actors and artists go insane? Does their reality blend too much with surreality and they lose themselves? What have I gotten myself into??!!
Tender Mercy #3:
Janelle, a girl I don't know very well, volunteered to pick me and my roommates up from the metro stop and drive us to the temple. She waited for us to do the temple ordinances we had planned to do and then took us back to the metro...all the while thanking US for coming to the temple with her. She is amazing! And, I'll be honest, riding in a warm car on a dark night to the temple is soooooo much better than walking 4 miles.
(end of TM part)
(beginning of a silly part)
The last time I got a ride from the temple back to the metro stop was when a cute boy asked me for my number as I was leaving. I had seen him inside the temple and thought he was adorable so I said yes before I knew what I was doing. He then offered me a ride as he saw that I wasn't walking toward a car but to the street. We had a great conversation in his jeep before we reached the metro stop. BUT he hasn't called yet and so I must presume that he is dead...because, really, that's the only logical explanation, right?!! My roommate Kelli suggested I run to the temple as fast as I could to see if he was looking for me there, but one of Jenny's rules is to not run...so I guess I'll be single for the rest of this life ;) It's a good thing my battery is dying on this laptop because I should really wrap things up...babbling is for brooks, right?
The last thing I wanted to write about is my bed and how grateful I am for it's comfort and warmth as the weather turns colder. And thanks to Jenny's quilt with it's greens and yellows I feel happy when I wake up and happy as I fall asleep.
If anyone is curious, I had ample time to write my novel today on the metro and things are still going swimmingly. I'm finding that even though it's a work of fiction I keep adding elements of my own life to it. So it's sort of like a journal but with some fun tweakings. I wonder if this will affect the way I remember what REALLY happens in my life. Is this the same reason why many actors and artists go insane? Does their reality blend too much with surreality and they lose themselves? What have I gotten myself into??!!
6 comments:
JANE!! I MISS YOU AT THE TEMPLE!! :(
Oh Jane, I'm sure your writings are creative and fun - can't wait to be able to tell people once you're a famous writer that I knew you when....
P.S. I'm sure that boy is dead too. Sad...(for him)
my mom is ridiculous...i actually laughed out loud at her PS.
and I'm so intrigued about your novel...perhaps you should publish it through blurb and then give it as a gift for christmas? ;)
Woah, Jenny. Let's not get crazy here. I'm sure I'll have you read it at some point...in random stages...but it's far from being something that will add to the Christmas spirit ;) But thanks for the confidence, you darling bf.
And I lol-ed too when I read your mom's comment...she is hilarious!
I'm wrapped up in one of Jenny's quilts too!
Actually, I just laughed out loud at Jenny's mom's P.S. and then saw that Jenny did too. It was funny.
I relate about putting stuff about you own life into stories, which is why I've resigned myself to narrative non-fiction - then I can write about myself with wild abandon. :)
Hi Jane!! I just stumbled upon your blog and wow, great stuff here!
PS - see you this weekend?
PPS - I agree, the boy must be dead.
Post a Comment