Because of the Thanksgiving holiday, it was a little unclear when our valiant garbage men would be by this week to pick up our garbage. They normally come on Tuesdays and Fridays, but I wasn't sure if they would come on Friday or delay it to Saturday or just skip it all together and wait until the following Tuesday. At 7 o'clock this morning I awoke with a start and thought I heard the garbage truck coming. I hadn't put out the garbage cans yet and quickly ran downstairs to see if I had missed my chance. I opened the front door and didn't see the garbage truck anywhere. I thought I must have imagined that I heard it and decided to do some dishes because I was wide awake. About 5 minutes later I heard the sound of the garbage truck again and looked out the window. Sure enough it was coming up the street fast and so I darted out my front door to try and beat them. In my eagerness to get rid of our loads of garbage, I immediately slipped on the second step of my stoop and tumbled down four of the stairs, finally landing on my back and then butt. Before I came to a stop I heard several loud "WOAHs" and saw that three garbage men had witnessed this embarrassment and were staring at me with wide open mouths and very concerned eyes. They each asked, in turn, if I was alright and I answered, "Yes, surprisingly yes...I can't believe it but, yes I'm okay." As I started to drag one of the garbage cans to the curb, one of the kind, and very cute, African American garbage men took it from me and carried it over to the garbage truck. One of the others grabbed the other can from its place inside my gate and took it over to the truck as well. I didn't have to do anything. They both returned the cans to their respective spots by the steps where I had just fallen and the third guy kindly said to me, "Don't rush next time, we ain't gonna race away from you that fast." I smiled and thanked them over and over again. They waved goodbye...those gallant garbage men. I forgot to mention that I was only wearing a pair of white long johns, a thin short robe, no bra, and a pair of boots. My hair was wild and my face was sleep-lined. Needless to say, I looked AMAZING for my glamorous fall! As I locked my front door, I started laughing at how ridiculous I must have looked and I couldn't stop laughing for the next 20 minutes. I wish someone had taken a picture. I'm tempted to knock on all my neighbors doors just to see if any of them happened to capture the moment randomly...it would be worth millions I'm sure ;) I also wish my roommates would have been home so I could have had someone to laugh with....but laughing by myself wasn't too bad...just maybe a little pathetic.
Tender Mercy #26:
I wasn't hurt even though my back should be broken right now from falling so hard on the stairs...and I was able to go to the temple, Georgetown Cupcake, and spend some time listening to the BYU vs Utah football game with my friend Kati. I also have bonded with the garbage men and may never have to set my garbage cans out ever again. I'm thinking that next time I'll just open my door, wave, let them see me leaning on a pair of crutches, and they'll take care of everything ;)
scene of the accident
cold hard stairs
Kati bundling up in my cold apartment to listen to the game. I like to keep my place as cold as an outdoor football stadium so we can really feel like we're at the game ;)
I'm blogging and listening...
but Kati shows me up as the better BYU fan.
7 comments:
DANG DUDE!! HOW DID YOU SURVIVE THOSE STEPS?!?!! That is so dang crazy!!! I'm glad you're alright!! Sheesh!! See! All the more reason why you should move back to Chula Vista :)
LOVE the blog!!! I'm going to steal your pictures. Thank you SO much for the wonderful evening. GO COUGARS!!!
i'm glad you didn't impale yourself on the gate...and of course, that you're ok!
jane, you've really been making me laugh out loud lately.
miss you!
oh yeah, and you can tell Kati you're the biggest Cougar I know! (she should see the way you look at Wesley) ;)
That was hilarious. I didn't need a photo. You painted a vivid word picture, and I could see you falling down the stairs in my mind, along with the shocked and concerned faces of the Sanitation Engineers. Glad you're ok!
I love, love, love your stories. My kids always sit out on the front porch and wait for the garbage men every Monday. They wave and get so excited. There's something about them......isn't there. Anyway, thanks for the laughs I needed them.
Christin
glad you're all finding the humor in my crazy stories...I love reading your comments! And Jenny, way to let the cougar out of the bag...now everyone will know my affinity for younger men. Sheesh!
Post a Comment